Life Skills Groups
Substance abuse can create a lot of chaos in people’s lives, destroying everything from their health to their relationships and careers. During the process of recovering from substance abuse, you can gain a lot of insight from life skills groups and collective therapy that focuses on ways to help you rebuild a stronger foundation as an individual and as part of a group.
These types of group sessions provide an opportunity to help you rebuild your confidence and start to realign your life’s purpose and goals. You’ll also learn how to address daily triggers that often lead to stress, anxiety and a tendency to abuse substances as an escape. Life skills groups will discuss actionable ways to rebuild important things that were lost during active addiction, including your health, finances, relationships and emotional regulation.
If you suffer from a mental disorder alongside addiction, a life skills group will teach you how to navigate challenges through healthier approaches. You’ll learn how others in your group struggle with the same mental health issues and have made similar choices with poor outcomes.
At Alta Loma, our life skills groups are designed to give you the coping skills you’ll need to live a successful, healthy, addiction-free life after returning home. These important sessions will also provide participants with an opportunity to learn new ways of working alongside others, building a recovery network in the process.
Some of the steps that’ll be discussed are:
- Building healthy new relationships and rebuilding old ones
- Budgeting to rebuild credit and financial stability
- Maintaining household responsibilities for a calmer mind and a clean, decluttered living space
- Regulating emotion when negative situations arise and managing daily life stressors
- Healthy coping mechanisms to replace unhealthy substance abuse
- Recognizing triggers and learning how to work through them if they can’t be avoided
- Job skills and career development