Whatever we are healing from issues with mental health or struggles with substance abuse, the process requires tremendous commitment, vigilance, determination, and courage. Health and recovery are more than full-time jobs and ask so much of our spirit, mind, and body.
While this complete focus on health and wellness is necessary, it puts other parts of our life on pause. After we have found stability and feel grounded, it can be overwhelming or depressing to think about all of the responsibilities of life we need to tend to or fix.
Please remember that while stress or dread are normal, rebuilding your life is possible and can be done in a manageable and sustainable way. You can do it!
Here are some ideas:
- Make a list of some realistic short term and long-term goals.
- Write a plan of action for each goal and outline the necessary steps to achieve those goals.
- Reflect on whether there is anyone who could help you achieve a goal and ask for their support. If they are unable to help, pause on that goal, and focus on one you can do yourself.
- Set aside time each day to work on a short-term goal and long-term goal. For example, a short-term goal could be finishing your resume. Set aside thirty minutes or an hour each day to think about references, work history, volunteering, education, or other information that could go on your resume. If you are feeling insecure about what to add, look into a potential volunteering position. Then, reflect on what field you want to work in, and research programs that are designed to support folks who are re-entering the workforce.
A long-term goal could be getting a job in six months.
- Pace yourself, recognize all small victories and remember that any action taken towards a healthier future is progress.
- Ask for an ally if you need to make difficult phone calls.
- Call on an experienced mentor or friend for advice or guidance.
- Keep moving forward, and remember you have the power to rebuild your life.
At Alta Loma Transformational Living, you will meet knowledgeable, compassionate professionals that understand addiction in all its forms. Alta Loma uses an integrative and holistic approach to treat addiction and mental health issues. No treatment is one-size-fits-all, where you will have a team of experts prepared to create your customized treatment plan. We offer care for your mind, body, and spirit, so that you can heal from the inside out and look forward to a lifetime of sobriety and wellness. If you are ready to take the first step in your recovery, please call us at 866-457-3843.