We all have those days when it’s hard to get things done. We don’t want to get out of bed, we don’t feel like completing our obligations, and we wish we could fast forward the day. It is a perfectly normal experience for motivation to wax and wane over time. In addiction recovery, motivation is crucial to keep an eye on because it can tell us if we’re heading towards relapse or if we’re sinking into symptoms of mental illness. The occasional bad day is nothing to worry about necessarily, but if we find that hours slip into days and days slip into weeks, we’re experiencing a lull in motivation. The following are some signs that we need a pick-me-up in recovery:
- We’ve stopped participating in our 12-Step program meetings
- We no longer have the desire to use the services in our treatment program
- It’s become harder for us to put effort into therapy
- We’re beginning to question whether recovery is the right path for us
You’ll probably be able to feel when your motivation has slowed down because you’ll simply stop trying. Even though you may not feel like it, this is the most important time for you to seek out help. A lack of motivation can so easily slip into cues for relapse, and this is when relapse prevention techniques are vital. The following are some tips for combating a lull in motivation:
- Participating in meetings anyways, even if you don’t feel like it
- Writing down your thoughts and feelings. Sometimes this can give you insight as to why you’re not feeling motivated.
- Asking for help from your therapist – they may have tools that are useful to you
If you’re feeling like you’re stuck in a lull, know that there is a way back to a motivated, healthy life. All you have to do is reach out and speak with a professional from Alta Loma today. We offer individualized treatment and recovery care while also understanding the link between mental health and substance abuse. Recovery is possible, and there is an entire team of healthcare professionals who truly care about your health and wellbeing. Alta Loma is a world-renowned, Texas state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery center exclusively for men. Call us today at (866) 457-3843 to start developing the tools you need to overcome life’s obstacles and be on the road towards happiness, health, and well-being.